This is probably one of my all time favorite salads. Ever. It has all of my favorite flavors: crunchy spinach and romaine, juicy oranges (love citrus!), sweet dried cranberries, and sweet, crunchy, heavenly candied pecans. What's not to like, right? Then dressed with a very simple orange juice and olive oil vinaigrette, that brings out each of those flavors without overpowering them at all. Super quick to put together, too, only about 10 minutes from tearing the greens to peeling and slicing the oranges, I whip it up while the rest of dinner is cooking so it's bright and fresh and ready to go when dinner is ready for the table.
Dried Cranberry, Fresh Orange, and Candied Pecan Salad w/Fresh Orange Vinaigrette
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
4 cups Mixed Greens (I used baby spinach and romaine)
2 navel oranges
1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 oz (about 8) Candied Pecans
1 small shallot or white part of a green onion, minced
1/8 cup good Olive Oil
1 pinch thyme
2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) For the vinaigrette: zest 1 tsp of the orange peel and add to the vinaigrette jar.
2) Peel both oranges with a knife. (Peeling citrus with a knife video).
3) Slice 1 1/2 of the oranges into slices for the salad and set aside. Squeeze the other half of orange and it's pulp into the vinaigrette jar.
4) To the orange juice and zest, add the olive oil, thyme, vinegar, minced onion, and salt/pepper. Refrigerate.
5) To finish salad, layer orange slices, dried cranberries, and nuts over mixed greens. Dress with vinaigrette just before serving.
Nutrition per 1/4 Salad: Calories: 141; Protein: 10; Carbs: 15; Fat: 8; Fiber: 7.