Chicken Parmigiana is one of those dishes that, to me, always sounds much more difficult than it is to make. Variations also make it a versatile recipe. If, instead of chicken breasts, you use whole pieces of chicken with the bones, it becomes the downhome, cozy "chicken spaghetti". On the flip side, if it's served with the pasta plain, sauce poured over, and chicken breasts lined up domino fashion on top of a serving platter, it becomes an elegant copycat restaurant entree for company. But mostly, we like it simply because it tastes good and is fairly quick and easy to prepare, requiring little more to accompany it than some nice bread and a good salad.
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
3-4 chicken breasts (total 20 oz)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided usage
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (Roasted garlic works well here too)
2 15 oz cans Tomato Sauce
1 tsp dried basil (or 2 tsp fresh basil), minced
1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh thyme), minced
1 tsp dried Oregano (or 2 tsp fresh oregano), minced
1 tsp dried parsley (or 2 tsp fresh parsley), minced
1 bay leaf
1-2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (based on your taste/preference)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
8 oz Spaghetti, cooked al dente
1 cup shredded Parmesan or mix of Italian cheeses
1) Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. Salt and Pepper generously. Dredge in flour and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes (helps flour crust adhere to the chicken as cooked).
2) In heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in 1 Tbsp olive oil for approximately 5 minutes per side or until nicely browned and cooked through.Set chicken aside.
3) Marinara Sauce: Add the second Tbsp of olive oil and saute onion and pepper until onion is translucent and pepper is softened. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.
4) Add tomato sauce, seasonings, and sugar. Bring to a bubble and then turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings (additional salt and pepper?). Add cooked pasta and stir to coat in sauce.
5) Add chicken back into skillet and cover with equal amounts of the shredded cheese. Cover with lid and allow to simmer 10 more minutes or until chicken is thoroughly hot and cheese is melted.
Nutrition per 1/4 recipe: Calories: 447; Protein: 35; Carbs: 65; Fat: 4; Fiber 5.