Enchiladas are yummy any time of the year but I seem to really crave them in the winter as creamy, hearty eats on long, cold winter days. I also love that they can be made ahead and baked later or even frozen and reheated later. Double batch anyone? Makes a quick dinner later, some night when I don't have time to cook but I don't want to run through a drive through.
Even though this recipe takes an extra ten minutes to make the sauce from scratch, it's so much tastier than using a "cream of" soup, and the white sauce is super easy to make--worth it!
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
3 cups Chicken meat, diced (rotisserie or left over from a roasted chicken)
1 cup Holy Quartet (or any combination of onions, celery, carrots, and red or green bell pepper)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp ground black Pepper
6 small (7") flour or corn tortillas
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can green chilies
1 16-oz jar Herdez Salsa Verde
2 cups Monterrey Jack, divided usage
1) Chicken filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté the diced vegetables in olive oil. When onions are translucent and all the vegetables are tender. Cool.
2) Combine vegetables with cooked chicken, cumin, salt, and 1 cup of the cheese in a bowl and set aside.
3) Sauce: In the same pan veggies were cooked in, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle over flour and whisk, cooking for one minute.
4) Slowly add chicken broth and salsa (less 1/4 cup salsa spread out on casserole dish bottom. Continue whisking and cooking until mixture is smooth, bubbly, and thickens. Take off heat and stir in the sour cream and green chilis.
5) Stir one cup of sauce into chicken filling.
6) Place 1/6th of the filling into each tortilla, fold over, and lay into casserole dish, seam side down.
7) Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cup of cheese. Bake uncovered @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until enchiladas are bubbly and cheese on top is browned nicely.
Nutrition per enchilada: Calories: 378; Protein: 30; Carbs: 19; Fat: 16; Fiber: 3.