In keeping with James' birthday dinner of Ina Garten's Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) and Greek Do Nothing Pineapple Coconut Cake, I made a large Greek Dinner Salad with Easy Homemade Greek Vinaigrette to go with the pasta at dinner.
Quick and easy, it's a matter of chopping a few fresh vegetables from the crisper, tossing over some creamy feta, and whisking together a few clean-eating pantry ingredients to dress the salad just before serving--and not having to dig through the fridge for clunky, who-knows-how-old bottled dressings!
Greek Salad and Easy Homemade Greek Vinaigrette
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
8-10 side salad portions
- 1 large head Romaine, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Cucumber, peeled or unpeeled, chunked
- 8oz Cherry tomatoes or 3 Roma tomatoes, chunked
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced in thin rings
- 6-8 oz jar whole Greek Kalamata olives
- 8 oz crumbed Feta
Toss all ingredients together in large bowl.
Easy Greek Vinaigrette Dressing
Makes enough to dress the salad
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Olive Oil
- 1 clove Roasted Garlic (or regular garlic), minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tsp fresh), minced
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley (or 1 tsp fresh), minced
- 1/4 tsp rosemary (or 1/2 tsp fresh), minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions: Whisk all ingredients together.
Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss to combine all ingredients.
Optional dressing shortcut: Use the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and 2 tsp Cavender's All-Purpose Greek Seasoning Salt or other Greek seasoning salt. Stir together and dress salad