At our house, the only thing better than cinnamon rolls are warm, drizzly cherry sweet rolls. Filled with cherry pie filling, cream cheese, and almond paste, they're just as yummy for breakfast as they are for dessert or even a midday coffee break.
Sharing bread recipes from around the world, come back later in the month to be linked to all the breads in our world basket from this year's 9th Annual World Bread Day. Sharing foods, sharing cultures, sharing breads that adorn all of our tables!
Cherry Almond Sweet Rolls
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
Makes 12 large rolls or 24 smaller rolls
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 4-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions for Dough:
1) Stir together milk, sugar, and melted butter. Heat in microwave 20 seconds at a time until mixture reaches 110 degrees. Stir in yeast and set aside for a few minutes to allow yeast to bloom.
2) Place 4 cups of flour and salt in bowl of stand mixer. With dough hook running on very low speed, slowly pour in milk mixture and allow to combine with flour. Add beaten eggs and mix until thoroughly combined. Continue adding flour until dough pulls easily away from sides of mixer bowl but is still very elastic. Continue beating in mixer for at least five minutes or until dough is very smooth. Add a few Tbsps of flour if need to keep dough from sticking to sides.
3) Allow to rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down. Roll out on floured surface to a large rectangle, approximately 24 inches by 10 inches.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, room temp
- 1 8oz can Almond paste
- 2 20 oz cans cherry pie filling
- Directions for Filling:
Directions for Filling:
1) In small mixing bowl, placed room temp cream cheese and almond paste that has been cut into chunks. With hand mixer, beat together until mostly smooth. Spread out over dough rectangle, edge to edge.
2) Spread pie filling over cream cheese/almond paste mixture leaving approximately 2 inches blank on long edge farthest from you.
3) Starting with long edge closest to you, gently roll filled dough into long roll, carefully lifting dough up and over itself as you go so filling won't spill out far edge.
4) With bread (serrated) knife or very thin bladed knife, cut into 1 to 2 inch rolls and place in 9 in by 13 in pan (for large rolls) or larger jelly roll (rimmed) baking pan.
5) Allow to rise at least an hour or until rolls are light and puffy.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes (larger rolls) or 35-45 minutes (smaller rolls) or until nicely browned and dough is not gooey in the middle rolls.
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Small amount of milk
Directions for glaze:
1) With hand mixer, beat together powdered sugar and butter until smooth, adding a few tsps of milk at a time until glaze is think enough to drizzle over rolls.
2) When rolls have cooled, drizzle glaze over by spoon.