Even though there's only the two of us for dinner tonight and it's too stormy to set up a grill, we decided to grill Butter Onion Burgers inside anyway to celebrate our Dads. Well worth the effort! What's a Butter Onion Burger? It's my own creation where the onion is pressed into the hamburger as the burger grills so that it's half grilled softness but still slightly crispy, all served on a bun that's been buttered and toasted for a bite down softness that ends in crunch and keeps the condiments from soaking into the bread. In one word: YUM!
Glenna's Butter Onion Burgers
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 1/2 lbs lean Ground Beef
- 4 1/4- 1/2" slices of onion
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Hamburger buns
- Optional: Cheese slices of choice, condiments, lettuce, tomato, additional onion
1. Form ground beef into four patties. Press one onion sliced down into the side of each patty until the onion is flat and even with the meat (so it won't fall off during cooking). My way was to lay the onion down flat on the cutting board and mash the ball of ground beef down onto it pretty hard so it woudl stick, then flattened and patted until the patty was in the shape I wanted.
Sprinkle each side with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Grill outside or inside on grill or cook in heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until cooked to desired doneness. (FDA recommends ground meats to be well cooked or 170 degrees with a meat thermometer).
3. While burgerrs are cooking, spread room-temp or melted butter on to insides of buns. Place in toaster oven or under broiler and broil until golden brown and crispy.