Baked Custard... one of my top comfort foods since I was a kid. Baked custard is very similar to the caramel flan found in Mexican restaurants, although good caramel flan usually has a crunchy sugar coating on top rather than a caramel sauce topping.
This recipe is very quick and easy to put togetherr and makes for a great dessert warm or cold.
Easy Baked Custard with Caramel Sauce
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 4 cups Milk (2%, Whole, or Half & Half, dpending on how rich you'd like it to be)
- 4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup commercially prepared caramel sauce
1) With mixer, beat eggs and sugar together. Add milk, salt, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
2) Pour into 2 qt greased baking dish and bake at 325 degrees in hot water bath (this dish inside a bigger dish filled with water) for 55-65 minutes until custard reaches 140 degrees in center.
3) While still hat, Pour caramel over top of custard. Can serve warm or chilled.
Makes 6 3/4 cup servings.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 358 Protein: 7 Carbs: 77 Fat: 4 Fiber: .5 Weight Watchers Points: 10