Nannie's Banana Pudding for Gene
Recipe from The Betty Crocker Cookbook
Makes 5 cups
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten lightly
3 cups 2% milk (can also use whole or half & half for a richer pudding)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 box Nabisco Nilla wafers
1. In 2 qt saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in beaten eggs, A little at a time, whisk in milk.
2. Over medium heat and using a candy thermometer, heat pudding mixture, stirring occasionally. As mixture temp nears 140 degrees F (the point where eggs set), begin slowly stirring constantly to keep pudding from sticking to pan bottom as it thickens.
3) At 150 degrees, turn heat to medium low and continue stirring constantly until mixture has thickened considerable and first bubbles appear. Take pudding off heat completely Do not allow to scorch.
4) Allow pudding to cool and thicken for 10-15 minutes so it won't cook the bananas as you put the pudding layers together.
5) in 2 qt glass casserole dish or bowl, layer cookies on bottom, then top with layer of sliced banana.
6) Spoon over 1/2 of pudding. Add another layer of cookies and bananas, followed by rest of the pudding. Crumble several cookies and sprinkle over top of pudding. Chill for 2 hours before serving to allow banana flavor to infuse with pudding.