I've been making Sweet and Sour Mushrooms for years but I added one "secret" ingredient this time that made Gene say "Oh YEAH! THAT'S the stuff!" The secret ingredient? Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce. We eat it on everything: steak, pork chops, chicken, meatloaf, and even toasted walnuts, but the Sweet and Sour Mushrooms are truly out of this world: tangy, sweet, spicy, the taste trifecta.
Sweet and Sour Mushrooms
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 1 1/2 lbs Mushrooms, all white or mix of species
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rounds or crescents
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (Can use Splenda brown sugar which reduces almost all of the sugar carbohydrates/calories)
- 1/4 cup Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce or Spicy All Purpose Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Wash and dice (or quarter if smaller) mushrooms.
2) Saute onion in olive oil. When transparent, add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
3) Mix together vinegar, sugar, and Country Bob's in a small bowl. Add to mushrooms, Lightly salt and pepper.
4) Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened and syruppy.
Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition per 1/2 cup serving: Calories: 95; Protein: 3; Carbs: 32; Fat: 0.3; Fiber: 1; Weight Watchers Points: 1