A couple of weeks ago, my cousin, Colleen, made salmon patties for her family for dinner and let me blog them. They were so inviting in the photo I suddenly had a craving. Fish patties is one of those things that are quick, easy, and tasty, but I usually I forget to make them unless something reminds me.
I do have a can of salmon in the cupboard, along with a few cans of tuna and crab, but I also had some cod fillets in the freezer that sounded yummy too. This is my recipe for fish patties or fish cakes as they're also called. Mine has a few more bells and whistles than Colleen's but only because I was playing with a much milder fish that needed a little kick in the gill to rev the flavor up.
Cod (White Fish) Patties with Home-made Tartar Sauce
Recipes by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 1 lb Cod or other firm white-fleshed Fish, cut into 1" chunks
- 2/3 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 eggs or 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried Parsley, minced
- 1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried Oregano, minced
- 1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried Basil, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 chopped scallion
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for serving
1) In bowl of large food processor, combine all of the ingredients labeled "fish patties". Process until everything si homogenously mixed together and fish has been busted up into flakes rather than chunks.
2) Form into 6 patties and lay on plate. Place in fridge for 1 hour to overnight so patties won't break apart during cooking.
3)Cooking: There are two methods. The first is to shallow fry in a skillet in a neutral flavored vegetable oil for approx 5 minnutes per side until niced browned and center is 160 degrees in the center.
The second method is to spray patties (both sides) with cooking spray or brush with oil and bake at 400 degrees on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet for 30 minutes or until nicely browned and 160 degrees in the center.
Makes 6 patties.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
Direcftions for sauce:
Mix together all ingredients labeled "tartar sauce" and chill for at least an hour before serving so flavors can meld nicely.
Makes slighly over 1/2 cup
Nutrition per cod patty (without sauce): Calories: 113; Protein: 19; Carbs: 2.5; Fat: 2.3; Fiber: .3; Weight Watchers Points: 2;