The number one great thing about teaching kids to cook is that they learn how to make their own snacks! Plus, they can help with dinner, but making their own snacks is at the top of the list.
Niece Jordna had jones for fried mushrooms the other night and, let my little heart beat with pride, instead of buying pre-breaded 'shrooms, she bought fresh white buttons and breaded them herself. Way to go, Jo! Very proud. From scratch over boxed any day.
Jordan's Shallow Fried Mushrooms
Recipe by Jordan McAdams
- 9 oz fresh button mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Expeller pressed canola or other mild cooking oil--enough to cover bottom of skillet generously
1) Wash and trim mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper
2) Combine flour, bread crumbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper together. While mushrooms are still damp from being washed, roll them in t he flour/bread crumb mixture and lay on paper plate. Set aside.
3) In a heavy-bottomed skillet, bring oil to medium high temperature (approx 5 minutes). Lay mushrooms carefully in oil and cook until browned on the bottom. Turn over and brown other side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel-covered plate.
Dip in ketchup, ranch dressing, or honey mustard.
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp mustard (regular or spicey brown)
- 2 Tbsp honey
Mix together all three ingredients thoroughly.