Whole Roasted Cabbage on the grill is impressive when cooking out for friends or just as tasty when roasted in the oven inside. It's quick and easy, can be prepped ahead with just a few ingredients from the pantry, and makes for a tasty side for any meal.
Whole Roasted Cabbage on the Grill or in the Oven
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 1 medium head cabbage (cored only for grill or cored and cut into 6 wedges for the oven)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Hormel Bacon pieces (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp onions, minced
- Salt and Pepper
1) For grill: Lay out two sheets of foil in a cross pattern, large enough to fold up and cover cabbage completely. Fold foil up about halfway up cabbage to form a bowl while adding rest of ingredients.
For oven: Place cabbage quarters in a cooking sprayed baking pan large enough for each quater to be laid flat, with very little overlap.
2) Pour chicken broth over cabbage (or down into whole cabbage) Sprinkle rest of ingredients evenly over cabbage quaters or down into whole cabbage. Salt and Pepper quarter lightly. For whole cabbage, lightly salt and pepper once cabbage has been removed from grill and cut into serving slices.
3) Cover baking pan with foil. For whole cabbage, gather sides of foil up to cover cabbage completely, twist top tightly, and fold over to seal completely.
4) When ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees or grill to a medium heat. To bake, place baking dish on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes. Place whole cabbage in grill with plenty of space around it but not directly above a burner for 60 minutes.
To finish grilled cabbage: remove from grill. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool enough to cut. Open foil and slice into 6 wedges. Serve immediately, spooning some of the bacon/onion/garlic onto each portion.
Nutrition per serving (with bacon and butter): Calories: 66; Protein: 3.5; Carbs: 9; Fat: 3; Fiber: 4; Weight Watchers Points: 2