I saw this recipe from Food.com on Pinterest and immediately thought we'd like it since garlic gets very sweet when baked and one of our other favorite chicken recipes is Curry Honeyed Roast Chicken which is delicious. I was also intrigued by the simplicity of this recipe. With only four ingredients: chicken, olive oil, fresh garlic, and brown sugar, it doesn't get much easier than that.
The verdict: DELICIOUS! Both Gene and I loved it and will be making it again and again. The oil covers the chicken to keep it moist and the garlic and brown sugar caramelize the chicken into sweet goodness. Serve it with something creamy like mac & cheese and something crisp like a great salad, and you've hit the comfort food trifecta.
Thanks to Alexis who posted this on Food.com and to all the pinners who repinned until I saw it. Yummy!
Easy Garlic Chicken
- 4 chicen breasts
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar (or honey)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a casserole dish. (Cook's note: I changed the temperature and lengthened the times from the original recipe because I thought 500 degrees was extreme. My temp and time worked perfectly for me.)
2) In a small pan, saute garlic in the olive oil until tender.
3) Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
4) Place chicken in the casserole dish, lightly salt and pepper, and spoon over the garlic, brown sugar, and oil mixture. Make sure to coat the chicken tops. If any of the chicken doesn't get at least a little oil on it, add a little more. This is what keeps the chicken moist. It doesn't have to be a lot of oil, but it does need to cover the meat.
5) Bake for 30-40 minutes, uncovered, until chicken reaches 165 degrees with a thermometer in the center of the chicken breast, is nicely browned, and the garlic/sugar mixture is caramelized. Let set 10 minutes before serving for juices to stabilize.
Nutrition per 5 oz chicken breast: Calories: 214; Protein: 32; Carbs: 13; Fat: 6 Fiber: 0; Weight Watchers Points: 6 pts plus 1 healthy fat