I was craving something hearty and good for us, something with lots of flavor but simple and full of vegetables when I went to the freezer and what did I spy but a pork loin...and a bag of Mediterranean mixed veggies....and in the pantry was a jar of sweet pepper bruschetta topping...and orzo...and on the counter was a small ciabatta loaf....put it all together and what do you get? Exactly what I was hungry for!
Glenna's Meditterranean-style Pork Loin stuffed with Sweet Peppers & Feta
Recipes by Glenna Anderson Muse
Pork Loin Ingredients:
- 27 oz Pork Loin
- 8 oz jar Sweet pepper bruschetta topping, drained and divided in half
- 4 oz Feta, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herb mix
1. Remove silverings (connective tissue) from pork loin by slipping the tip of a sharp knife underneath and shearing away from loin. Remove as much as possible (without destroying loin) for maximum tenderness.
2. Butterfly the loin open and lay flat on cutting board.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and pound out to approx 1/4" thickness using the blunt side of a meat mallet or rolling pin.
4. Remove plastic. Salt, pepper, and sprinkle on italian seasonings.
5. Layer on the half jar of bruschetta topping and the fet, careful to leave one long edge and both ends with an approx 1" margin or filling will spill out everywhere when rolled up. (note: took the pic before I got the feta on it--don't let that throw you.)
6. Starting at edge with no margin, gently roll up tightly with seam side down. There are two ways to proceed. Tie with kitchen twine, or since I had none, I placed the loin seam side down onto a cooking sprayed piece of foil and rolled the foil around tightly to secure loin.
7. Place into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until loin is 150 degrees in the center. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes to allow juices to set before slicing.
Orzo Pilaf Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp good Olive oil
- 1 cup orzo (dry)
- 1/2 jar of Sweet Pepper Bruschetta topping
- 10 oz bag frozen Mediterranean vegetable blend
- 15 oz chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cavender's Greek Seasoning or other all purpose seasong such as Mrs. Dash
1. In a heavy bottomed 1 1/2 qt saucepan, heat butter and olive oil. Add orzo and stir around untill beginning to brown.
2. Add rest of ingredients and bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until orzo is plump and tender. Watch carefully. By the end, all of the liquid will have been absorbed.
Serves 6 (One 4oz slice of stuffed loin).
Nutritional per serving (1/6 each of pork loin and 1/6 orzo pilaf): Calories: 391; Protein: 29; Carbs: 30; Fat: 17; Fiber: 3; Weight Watchers Pts: 10.