1) Preterm labor is hard to explain. There is no rhyme or reason. In many pregnancies, it just happens.
2) Counting 6 or more contractions an hour is not a normal sign. Call your doctor; it is not normal Braxton Hicks.
3) Preterm labor is serious. If someone is told they need to be on bed rest they are...
4) Magnesium Sulfate will make you sick. It is used for preterm labor. It will suck. Some studies have shown it can prevent or limit the severity of cerebral palsy. Please educate yourself about the local options for NICUs and about preterm labor treatment. (Mag sulfate, steroid shots and the P17 shot if you have been in preterm labor before.)
5) Please do not tell someone that her labor was easier because her baby was smaller.
6) A wise person once said “no matter how hard it is having baby with colic is not comparable to having a child on a feeding tube.” Try not compare kids, especially premature infants just out of the NICU, to full term infants.
7) When a baby is in the NICU please call their parents or send cards. Often, parents of NICU babies are cheated of the experience of well wishes.
8) Do not blame a mother for her preterm labor or premature child. She needs support. She is likely blaming herself.
9) If you are throwing a baby shower and a person is experiencing preterm labor or has a baby in the NICU, please ask her how she feels about having the baby shower. This is a difficult time and you might want to postpone it or change the location.
10) Premature babies are more fragile even out of the NICU. Be respectful and do not see them or take your kids to see them when you are sick. RSV puts babies back in the hospital and it can kill babies.